The instant pot. Such a wonderful invention. If you have not yet gotten yourself one. Might I suggest just do it!? Especially right now! They are priced so well during this month. On Amazon, the very one I have is on sale, $20 off. I held out for such a long time. I kept thinking, “I don’t have space for just another kitchen gadget.” However, I kept hearing so much about them. I finally rationalized the purchase by replacing a crockpot that I didn’t like (it cooked everything way too hot and fast); because it serves as a crockpot as well.
This is the exact one I have and LOVE.
Onto to this recipe. We love chicken and wild rice soup. In fact my oldest daughter requests it for her birthday meal – every year. It’s such a favorite. However, so many of the recipes call for Cream of… whatever. Which – ok – is fine every now and then, but the one recipe that we love in particular calls for A LOT of Cream of and then also instant soup packets. These things I tend to not have on hand. If you know the way I cook – it’s basically making something of what I have on hand. I don’t do well with recipes that call for really specific ingredients needed for specific times. I like recipes that are flexible with veggies, rice or pasta, meat, etc. If I can mix and match – count me in.
This is definitely that kind of recipe. In fact I made this two weeks in a row with different meats and veggies. The only thing that was consistent was the rice, chicken broth and spices.
This recipe was inspired by Pinch of Yum.
I have made this several ways. I have made it would ground turkey and chicken breast. I have added cauliflower. I have made it both with and without carrots, with and without onion…You could certainly add mushrooms…SERIOUSLY it is FLEXIBLE! Consider the recipe below the base recipe.
Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
A healthy, versatile, quick, and easy comfort soup.
- For the Instant Pot:
- 200 g carrots (about 3 carrots), chopped
- 200 g celery (about 5 stalks), chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice blend
- 1 pound of chicken or turkey, cooked (I have used both)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute (or Mrs. Dash seasoning)
- 1 tsp Everything But The Bagel Seasoning (or dried minced onion)
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme For the Stovetop:
- 2 TBS I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter (or butter)
- 2 TBS flour (or arrowroot powder or cornstarch if GF)
- 1 cup milk (I have used both unsweetened Almond Milk and Nonfat Dairy Milk)
- Throw all your ingredients in the instant pot. Set the instant pot to pressure cook for 40 minutes (manual, high pressure).
- You can allow the pressure to naturally release or you can quick release as well (time-permitting).
- When the soup is done, in a small saucepan melt the butter, whisk in the flour. Cook just a minute, whisking, and then whisk in the milk (pro tip – if you get tired of whisking or are in a hurry – pop this mixture in the blender. Zero lumps).
- Add the creamy sauce into the instant pot. Stir. I set the pot to saute for just a minute while stirring the two.
NutritionPer Serving: 218 Calories; 25 g Carbohydrates; 3.6 g Fat; 25.2 g Protein.
What I Used To Make This Recipe:
As an Amason Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links which does not change your price but shares some of the commission.
You must log in to post a comment.