It is no secret that I LOVE my instant pot. I use it for soups, meats, stews, rice (it’s the BEST rice cooker), mac n cheese…you name it. However, my favorite use of the instant pot is probably for hard boiling eggs. I have had the hardest time finding the best way to hard boil eggs. I mean if the eggs are nice and old – they boil nicely, but fresh eggs? Forget about it! Trying to peel the shell off a farm fresh egg hard boiled? What a mess! Until that is – the instant pot.
Wow – I have finally mastered the perfectly hard boiled egg. And peeling it? The shell comes off so easily and beautifully! I love it!
So here is my technique. Now, if you like a soft boiled egg, you will want to pressure cook for 6 minutes. For a perfect hard boiled egg yoke, 8 minutes is perfect.
- Place your trivet in your pot.
- Arrange the eggs on the trivet. You can cook as few as 4 eggs and as many as 10 eggs. It’s ideal to have some spacing, but we have made the trivet nice and full of eggs as well. They turn out perfectly each way.
- Pour 1 cup of water in the bowl under the trivet. You can just pour the water right over the eggs. It will go to the bottom of the bowl.
- Lock the lid on your pot.
- Manually select pressure cook and high pressure. Set the time for 8 minutes.
- Allow the pressure cooker to do it’s thing. It will take a few minutes to come to pressure.
- Once it beeps that it is finished. Set your timer for 8 minutes. Let the pressure release on its own for another 8 minutes.
- Once the 8 minutes of release is up, do a quick release (be careful of the steam).
- Fill up a bowl with ice and water for ice bath.
- Using tongs put the eggs in the ice bath for several minutes.
- Once the eggs have cooled some, peel the shell in the sink under a trickle of warmish water.
- Allow the eggs to cool completely and refrigerate for up to a week (especially if using fresh eggs).
We love to eat eggs plain with some salt and pepper, in egg salad or on top off a fresh lettuce salad.
The instant pot that I have and use is on sale right now on Amazon.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links which will not change your price but will share some of the commission.