Let me just start by saying – Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it. Ok!? Seriously just give me a chance to explain. 😁
Adding cauliflower rice to your regular bowl of oatmeal? Why in the world would one want to do such a thing? Well – have you ever eaten a serving of oats and been disappointed at the teeny amount? Oats cook down and a regular serving of oats does not give you a whole lot of volume. Add some cauliflower rice to the mix and suddenly you have a huge bowl, and it’s going to be so much more filling and satisfying. #alwayshungry
The inspiration for the original cauliflower oats came from https://emyogifit.com/. Emily is a genius when it comes to macro friendly recipes that are satisfying and filling as well! She speaks my language. 🥰
Pumpkin Cinnamon Bun Cauliflower Oats
A high volume, nourishing, and satisfying bowl of comfort
This recipe makes four large sized servings. I like to cook this over the weekend or at the beginning of the week. It takes a total of 20 minutes, and then I have four bowls ready for the week.
- 2 12 ounce bags of frozen cauliflower rice (you can also use 10 ounce)
- 120 grams rolled oats (I used Quaker brand)
- 80 grams canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp butter extract
- 200 grams liquid egg whites
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- stevia or SF sweetener to taste (I used 4 droppers of liquid stevia)
- 4 TBS Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Bun Spread
- Microwave the cauliflower rice according to the bags directions. I microwaved each bag six minutes each.
- Transfer the rice to a large pot, add the oats and plenty of water to cover the oat/rice mixture. Have some water next to you. You might need to add more water as the two cook down. It can get thick.
- Cook the cauliflower rice and oats for a solid 5 minutes until you feel like the oats are nice and soft.
- While still cooking (you may want to turn down the temp on your stove a touch) WHISK (whisking is very important here) add the egg whites and WHISK CONTINUOUSLY for 1-2 minutes. The volume will increase exponentially and the mixture will get nice and creamy. It’s important to whisk the entire time so to avoid the egg whites from lumping .
- Remove the pot from heat. I allow it to cool right in the pot or will transfer to a bowl.
- Add the spices, butter extract and stevia.
- Transfer to four containers of equal amounts.
- Add a TBS of Cinnamon Bun Spread to each bowl.
- When rewarming and eating later you can add toppings, extra spices, and syrups to your taste.
NutritionPer Serving: 294 calories; 39.8g carbohydrates; 7.9g fat; 15.4g protein
This base recipe of cauliflower rice, oats and egg whites can be modified and changed to your preferences and nutritional needs. I have made this with peanut butter, powdered peanut butter, cocoa, banana, and many other variations. It depends on what I have around, what kind of mood I am in, and what flavor I want. It is SUPER flexible and adaptable to you.
Give it a try and let me know what you think. Tell me your changes and variations for further inspiration. 😊
Now go enjoy your self a huge bowl of warm oats on this chilly fall day. 🍁🍂